Monday, February 15, 2016

Blog #4


           The standard I found is under the category “Body of Knowledge SC.K.E: Earth and Space Science. Big Idea / Supporting Idea 5 SC.K.E.5: Earth in Space and Time. The specific standard is SC.K.E.5.In.3: Identify the Sun in the daytime and SC.K.E.5.In.4: Identify the Moon in the sky at night. A web based resource that would be helpful for these kindergarten students would be an upbeat musical video they could watch on YouTube: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM01YJF8xT4) This educational tooI would be classified as a graphic. I might assign the students to watch the video at home or we could watch it as a class and then discuss it afterward. I would incorporate the video into the lesson so that the students could picture what we were talking about.
The internet has been my main source of information in general, as well as school work throughout my education. I always start with a google search with the key words I am looking for. My high school teacher taught us how to site our sources and which sources were not as reliable for doing professional research. The podcast reminded me of the importance of URLs. The podcast said that some important criteria for evaluating websites are the authors credentials, discovering bias if there is any, material content, level appropriate for the age group for your students. I believe I am normally aware of bias when reading anything on the internet.
I learned how to use google scholar through FSU and how to find articles through the library. I thought this assignment was fun. I especially liked looking for the Ukrainian newspaper. I had never searched for a foreign newspaper before. I found it a little harder to find recent technology articles published after 2010.
Here are some web hunt ideas:
1. You want your students find and memorize a poem written this year 2016. Can you find a website that they could use to find a poem to memorize?
2. You want your students to make collages of current important inspirational figures. Can you find an article explain how to collage?
3. A big science test is coming up and you want your students to prepare by making flashcards online. Can you find a free website that allows students to do this?

No comments:

Post a Comment